Saturday, February 21, 2015

Snow Day Brew Day

Trying out a Dunkelweizen kit from Great Fermentations. This is batch #5 of my homebrew career, first batch of 2015, and first Dunkelweizen.

Flavoring grains steeping.
Steeping

Assistant Brewmaster FUZZ* watching some CatTV while the kettle comes to a boil.
Cat TV

Almost there!!!
Almost there...

Chilling the wort! WINTER IS AWESOME!
All-natural Wort Chilling

Ok, chilling the wort outside took a lot longer than I thought it would. Shoveled my driveway and it was only down to 140F. Shoveled my sidewalks and my neighbor's sidewalk and it was down to 120F. Went inside, watched Iowa State get their 20th win of the season. It took about 3.5 hours for the wort to get down around 75F.

Into the fermenter:
Wort
Easily the darkest-looking beer I've made so far.

Assistant Brewmaster Smokey* says "Hurry up and pitch the yeast so you can get my supper!"
Untitled

My previous beers have all fermented in the front closet, but I'm leaving this one in a bathtub for easy cleanup, as I know from experience this yeast knows how to have a good time.
Fermenter with blow-off tube

And the sun sets on another successful brew day.


* All my beers have a "less than 1% cat hair by weight" guarantee.

No comments:

Post a Comment